Blogging tips

Floating Art Project

I've been itching to frame out a piece of art with a simple, acrylic frame.  It's such a clean aesthetic that can really showcase artwork in a modern way.  Jenny posted not too long ago about finding acrylic frames for smaller works, but I was thinking something on a larger scale...
We gifted my sister and BIL an original painting from Brazil, and while we were visiting them, it gave me the perfect chance to test the acrylic-framing waters.
I took the artwork to a local glass and mirror shop, and asked if they could cut two pieces of acrylic to "sandwich" the artwork between.  *Note*  I anticipated "Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?" looks, so I took the above inspiration photo for explanation purposes. ;)
I had them cut 1/4" (rather than 1/8") pieces for a more substantial look, and drill holes at each corner.  Since I wanted a floating look, I had them size the sheets to allow about a two-inch border around the painting.
To hang the painting, I had to enlist Ben's help (of course!).  He had to enlarge the drill holes a bit to allow for the brass screws we selected to hang the art. 
DSC_3498

If you try this, be slooooow and careful, so you don't crack the acrylic!

Next, we cleaned the acrylic of all fingerprints.  He had a little "help."  Note to self:  next time, use latex gloves!
DSC_3500

We used double-sided tape on the back of the painting to make sure it wouldn't slip during the hanging process.
DSC_3499

We secured it all with brass screws through the drilled holes - straight into the wall (using drywall anchors).  ......aaaaand DONE!
DSC_3504

I'm lovin' it!
DSC_3505

25 comments:

The Southern Lady said...

Good morning from L.A.!

Alison, not only is that such an interesting new way to display art, it's gorgeous! Job well done. I am completely inspired. Thank you!

Warmly,

Elizabeth

Kerry said...

That looks fabulous! It's such a great idea, and the perfect way to hang that piece! It looks beautiful!!

La Maison Fou said...

I was just looking at pictures of this type of framing last night! I love it and how easy for cleaning up smudge marks and protecting the art from dust,dirt and particles!
L.

The Matters of Style Girls said...

That is awesome!!! Great idea! Was it hard to get everything all lined up since the same screws that hold the pieces together also attach it to the wall?

My Notting Hill said...

Very smart!! Looks very high end. Thanks for sharing all the steps too.

a Girl Called Kim said...

gorgeous!
it looks like a museum piece. do you have a close up shot of the screws to the wall?

Diane James Home said...

Looks amazing - can't believe you did this yourselves! Now I'm inspired to try it out on a photograph for my bedroom. Thank you for the inspiration! Cynthia

Carissa @ the Fabulous Design File said...

Wow!!! Well done! I'm so impressed that you did that yourself... it looks amazing!

Mary L said...

Looks really good! Would love to know the details. Cost, etc...

kelleyp said...

looks amazing
Kelley

LindsB said...

So hot!! I LOVE how this looks!!

I'm going around my house now trying to figure out what I can frame like this- its too cool!

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Oh, I do love that, especially for a modern piece like that!

Erin | Holtwood Hipster said...

Love, love, love this. I've been wanting to do the same in our home. How did this screw into the wall? The same screws as shown in the corners of the acrylic? Did you use a specific type of screw?

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

oooh oooh oooh! I am LOVING t too!

Sarah Roads said...

This looks fantastic! I am so doing this- Thanks!

JMW said...

That is GORGEOUS! Great job - I bet it makes you smile every time you walk by it. :)

Shannon Baker said...

Stunning!

DebbieTibbs said...

I love that!! I want to do something like it too! Just found your blog. Can't wait to read more.

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

wow, really lovely idea, and it seems to work so well in the whole room!

Ava said...

LOVE this! I have some large art on similar kind of paper that has been way to pricy to frame. A few questions...did the framer drill the original holes for you? just wondering if mine would do that. Also, are the edges really sharp? your look nice and round. ok,last one:)...where did you get the nice hardware???THANKS!
Ava
ava.whalen@hotmail.com

Scribbler said...

I found you via La Dolce Vita on her IKEA hack post. You are so talented! I am now following your blog. Follow me?

Anonymous said...

Be careful as lack of air between the painting and the glass can ruin the artwork in the long run (part of the reason mats are used!).

Anna - Canoe Design said...

Amazing! It looks so incredible! Well done you!
This is for sure an idea i am going to keep in my inspiration folder, thanks!

Melissa said...

Its beautiful! How much do acrylic sheets cost??

Delilah said...

I wonder if you could add a hanger on the back so as not to have to drill holes in a wall? I change my art alot.

Post a Comment