Blogging tips

Design Dilemma: Delirium

Oh, goodness - I am pooped! Avery brought home some gunk from school, and I've had a horrible sore throat for two days - just makes me wretched. I'm like O-Kaay, bring on the snots already, I HATE the sore throat phase! So, needless to say, I did not tackle a large, master-bath DD I have tucked into the back of my brain...
I received a few questions about the pics I posted earlier this week about the rearranging we did in our living room. I also thought it might be a good time to grab your thoughts on yet another change I'd like to make in that room...
I'm sure you're thinking...um, doesn't she have other UNFINISHED projects? Does she really need to move on to another before one is even complete? Well, um, YES, and YES! You really have to understand first, my OCD tendencies, and second, the challenges my particular locale offer to completing a project. In light of that info, let's just say I have to move in stages...

So, as I mentioned, we moved the chippendales in......and I'm debating what color to paint them, along with what fabric to use. Ben really wants to go Chinese Red - lacquer for paint. But, if I go with the fabric I'm leaning towards...the one I suggested for my SIL's dining room chairs... (Erica, would you mind if we were twinks?) It and the red together would be too...Americana. I think the fabric would work well with my rug...
Seen here (along with Avery's stylish sapatos)! Additionally, a true red (on the Chippendales) might not jive so well with the persimmon/tomato red of the rug... Thoughts???
Speaking of rugs....a reader asked me about this one. It's an 8x10 Pottery Barn kilim I bought a couple of years ago for half price on Ebay. It has a one inch square notch missing along one side - some people call that imperfect, I call it a steal! Anyway, the reader wanted to know where she could find good-looking, college-budget rugs. Just off the top of my head, I'd recommend Overstock, JCP, Home Decorators Collection, and most definitely, Ikea. Maybe I'll do a rug post, soon...

OK, where was I...Oh! The Chippendales...but, before I redo them, I was thinking.... I, too, am kinda tired of the blah, blah beige in this room - what if I bought new slipcovers for the furniture? It just so happens I can buy white covers for the sofa, chair AND ottoman....for less than $100 - because it's part of the Ektorp series, and ridiculously affordable. A little change-up might look something a little like zees! (and besides, I'm starting to feel no DD Friday is complete w/out a Polyvore session!)
MLHP living room update
MLHP living room update by atexski on Polyvore.com

You know that would give the feeling of a whole, new room?!!! I'm not afraid of white slipcovers (despite having a toddler) - I'll just throw them in the wash with some bleach, no?!
So...that's where I am on the NEWEST project...

As for the other project - our TV room - there's been an epiphany in the house...and it wasn't mine...
If you've been here awhile, you know I've had this chair...
...sitting and waiting paitently, while I've debated fabrics for recovering....
I've considered this...
or something like this...
and even tried to work with this
(Seen next to Oriental chairs done in Della Lemon) but nothing has given me the warm fuzzies.

Enter this painting...

Doesn't it sort of remind you of Hollywood Squares? Brazilian Squares.
We bought it in Rio, and finally got the canvas stretched in order to hang it. It looks so fab in the room, with the other yellows and neutrals (we hung it above the sofa). It apparently brings new life to the process, because Ben said "'Why are you trying to be so 'matchy-matchy' with the side chair?'" (He knows I'm not a big fan of overly-matching pieces, so he knew he'd get my attention - bugger!) "'Why don't you cover it in a nice blue - pick up one of the shades in the painting?'" OK, I'll admit it - it is a rather brilliant idea, but let's not let this go to his head...deal?! ;)

So, I'm currently perusing solid blue fabrics - maybe a soft, brushed twill - and I'll use bright white on the piping for fun. You can bet I'll let you know when it's all said and done! In the meantime, the TV cabinet still sits dinged-up and unpainted, and our feet still rest on the rustic, washed-green Mexican trunk because I never ordered another ottoman. Patience, my friends, is the name of the game! Have a great weekend!!!

4 comments:

Carrie said...

I love the "new" living room! I've always wanted white slipcovers, but girls are easier on stuff than boys. Lucky you! The look is very classic and trendy at the same time.
The new painting is darling! If I see any blue fabric, I'll send a pic your way. Have a great weekend!

My Favorite and My Best said...

i think the reds will be brilliant together. no clashing in my opinion. especially if the blue in the fabric jibes with the blue in the rug. however, i am not a designER just a design junkie.
and i am going to get the karlstad sofa with the long white slipcover b/c with a 4 year old and 2 cats i need cheap and removable. bleach is your friend.
xoj

Nicole ~ said...

Hey Allison, I am glad I am not the only one with many projects in the works. I took the day off today to tackle some of them. What am I doing instead, blogging!!!

The slip cover is a great idea, especially since you can buy the sofa, chair and ottoman covers for less than $100.00!! The Polyvore scheme is looking pretty good.

By the way, it starting to sound like Ben should maybe start his own blog…. I really like his suggestion for Chinese red on those Chippendales.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend, Nicole

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Ok totally amazing that the slipcovers are under a 100 for all of them. I bought slipcovered furniture, but decided to not go the IKEA route. Totally regret. Our pup Bear decided the sofa slipcover could be his chew toy a couple of weeks ago and went to town. Price to replace it 600 bucks! Ah we are living with it for now. I love the white though. Everyone thought I was crazy, but I really wanted it so I say go for it!

Ok on to the chairs. I love the fabric selection. I do agree with you that the bright red and the blue with bits of white/cream might like to all american. I love the rug and see that it was a yellow/mustard type color. Why not paint it in that shade. Blue and yellow going great together and it would be unexpected!

Post a Comment