Blogging tips

Lost in Translation: the diaper bag edition

Over the course of our five years here in Brazil, there's been countless times where things I tried to convey in my butchered Portuguese became "lost in translation"  At the time, the situations drove me nuts, but in hindsight are comical.

A few weeks before I was due with Skylar, I took my old, leather diaper bag to be reconditioned at a bag 'n shoe shop.  A little background info:  when I had my first kiddo, I purchased this leather bag from Storksak.

             
At the time, the $300+ price tag seemed like a major splurge, but now, six years later, I can say the cost-per-use is practically pennies.  A great "non-diaper" diaper bag, that I highly recommend.
Mine had seen some serious wear, so I took it to the shop thinking to have it reconditioned.  You know, some mink oil or something to blend the water stains, and soften the leather.  At least, that what I thought I was saying.
Bells probably should have gone off in my head when I picked up the Portuguese words for "darker" and "paint." 
A couple of weeks later, I returned to this:
 The nice, leather bag had been....vinylized.   It's like they painted it (poorly) with some kind of liquid plastic substance that's the color of a sewer rat.  The thing even smells like a vinyl sofa circa '75.
I also must mention how the brass hardware was "touched up" with gold paint.
The picture doesn't do it justice.
Translation:  Diaper bag sads.

I think I might just put this one in the donation pile, and call it a day.  So...I'm in the market for a new "diaper" bag.  I tend to go for styles that transcend the baby look, and can function beyond diapees and wipes.  Here's a few I'm considering.



1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/ 9

Do you have a fave go-to that can pull diaper bag duty?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

So sad to see your gorgeous bag ruined! yikes! that hurts. The new ones look awesome though, like # 3 and 6- heck I'd use it for a purse.
Good luck with the move!
xo Nancy

My Interior Life said...

OMG, I cannot believe that story. I would be so sad too. Boo. Lost in Translation indeed (love that movie, btw). I vote for #7, 8 or 3!! All very chic. Hope everyone is well!!

Unknown said...

Oh that's terrible! I almost bought that bag when I was on a search for mine. I love the bag I bought though, and has held up for a year now through many travels! I get stopped daily still and asked where I got the bag. Here is the link.
http://www.2sweetsisters.com/NEST-Black-Hudson-Diaper-Bag_p_13973.html

Carol said...

OK, I don't even have a baby and I have a baby bag. Lauren over at the blog Seventeenth & Irving did a great packing post and advocated the Hudson diaper bag to use as your carry on. It's leather, has gold hardware and obviously lots of pockets. People are constantly asking me where I got my "purse".
http://www.wayfair.com/Nest-Hudson-Diaper-Bag--L423-K~NBG1020.html?refid=GX21919337100-NBG1020&device=c&gclid=CO7oq7H22bgCFRDZQgodvAoAHw

Carol said...

Oh, I just saw the post above mine! See? It really is an awesome bag :)

Post a Comment