Blogging tips

The Poopside of Parenting

We've been making a concerted effort to potty train our 3 y/o, Isla this week.  Actually, we've been doing the parental peer pressure thing for several months, as we look at having two children in diapers as only slightly less punishment than Purgatory.
It has been hit or miss. 
Last Sunday, Isla didn't want to eat her breakfast eggs, and said "I want to tee tee in the potty" as an excuse to get away from the table.  We called her bluff, and somehow that turned into a concentrated Potty Training effort that didn't exactly match my expectations for an "I'm off the grid" Mother's Day.
We had about a 50% success rate.
So, Monday, Ben offered to stay home with Isla, so we could put her through a Potty Training Boot Camp Day.  It began horribly, with her screaming she didn't WANT to use the potty, and crying for the ensuing hours.  As I am the weaker parent, I bailed to go to the grocery store.  When I came back, she was happy, and had used the potty several times.
BUT NOT TO POOP.
And, she has continued to refuse to use the potty for #2 all week, instead holding it all in, creating one, giant, compacted, uh...s%*t storm.  Last night, she woke up screaming that "It HURTS!"  Well, yeah, kiddo, I'm sure it does!
We had a similar problem with our first-born - something about the different sensation of going on the toilet that first time is terrifying to them.  We ended up using a water enema on her that STILL has me scarred.  But it worked.  She remembers it, though, and I think she'll probably use it against me at some point in her life.
So, basically, I am the worst potty training parent ever.  I dread the time so much, and I will very possibly consider ECing with this third child - in the hopes of truncating the whole endeavor.

So, that's what I've got - no pretty pictures of interiors, or plans of future projects - just preschool poop talk.  Any advice on getting us over this hump?
OK, I'll leave ya with this pretty toilet.

4 comments:

My Interior Life said...

I should just send you a separate email. I have no real words of wisdom because we went through the exact same thing with our daughter years ago (seriously, we had to go to a psychologist finally - head games). It may not happen the way you want it to or in your time frame, but it will happen eventually. I had no idea on what EC'ing was so had to hit your link. Hmm. It's a thought. I will tell you my son had no problems whatsoever. Absolutely insane. It is totally dependent on the child and their world view. For real. Best of luck to you!!

Nicole said...

I actually chose my preschools on their willingness to potty train. My oldest 2 kids (a girl and a boy) both responded well to positive peer pressure but were not interested until the age of 3. My third child, a boy, luckily went to a preschool where they worked with him for over 9 months (my others were completely potty trained after 2months) until he was 4!!!! But, eventually he got it. My fourth child actually potty trained himself at 2 1/2. I am down to one more kid in diapers, and I dread potty training him. I can tell you after many different experiences, each kid is different, and not to sweat it. They all eventually realize how gross it is. The less pressure from you (like my 2 1/2 year old) might make her more interested.

mom23 said...

You must be SO ready for her to be toilet trained before the baby gets here! Good Luck ;)

Carissa @ the Fabulous Design File said...

We went through the SAME THING!!! My littlest refused to poop on the potty for the longest time. I was worried he'd never figure it out. Then all of a sudden it just kind of happened once by accident when he was peeing, and it wasn't an issue after that!

Post a Comment