Blogging tips

Craving: Greenery

One of the things I'll never accustom to living with in South America is the reversed seasons. As everyone in The States is welcoming Indian Summer, here, we're winding up Winter, also known as the dry season. It hasn't rained since May, and everything from plant life to cars has taken on the distinctive hue of the red earth - desperately dry and parched.
Although Fall is certainly my favorite North American season, I'm so ready to see life in the form of greenery that will hopefully grace us soon, with the freshness of that first rain. Until then, I'm all about bringing green into the house - the bigger and more tropical, the better!

We recently purchased a tallish tropical - something between a bird of paradise and a banana tree - and it instantly elevated the room.
Despite being the design "It" plant, I still love and certainly crave a fiddle leaf ficus - they just have such presence!

Warm, modern California living room, featured in Elle Decor

Earthy, modern California living room, featured in Elle Decor


Not that a smaller plant can't have the same effect - so long as there's proper placement. Note the table serving as plant stand in Ellen Pompeo's casa.

Even a large sprig can work wonders to bring a natural freshness indoors. If you have good light in your banheiro, try using a tropical - typically, the humidity will serve it very well.
jessica helgerson

Aaaah....already breathing a little better!

9 comments:

Raina Cox said...

Thank you for reminding me that I need to scoot over to my local nursery to look at small indoor trees. Yours looks FANTASTIC.

When I lived in New Zealand, the up-ending of the seasons was something I never got used to. Ever.

Jill GG (good life for less) said...

I love plants... we don't have one in our whole house. What a shame! I am TERRIBLE at keeping them alive. We once had a gorgeous fiddle leaf fig in our first home that we had to bring home sticking out of the sunroom on an old beater Jetta. But we killed that too. Really, what is wrong with me?

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Love your new tropical tree. It looks fabulous and plants really do so much to just make a room sing. Love it. Hugs, Marty

Screaming Meme said...

they can make the whole space, Huh? :) Thank you for sharing these lovely photos! Swing by for a peek of my client's home! So pretty!!!!

XoXo,Meme

Lavender and Lilies said...

I love plants indoors. They do make a space.

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

Love indoors greenery, they look great and bring life to the house

Lindsey E. said...

I've got two basic indoor plants from each of my grandparents funerals...as sad as that is, they are such a happy spot in my dining room. Luckily, I haven't killed them yet...goin strong since 2005. :) Great chatting tonight...talk soon!

Karena said...

Alissa I am looking for the same thing!! It is so beautiful to see greenery and especially palms!

Karena
Art by Karena

House and Life said...

I LOVE fiddle figs. But I didn't listen to my friend David who said they are very fickle and ordered one over the internet (plus shipping, ouch.). It committed suicide last week. Bum city.

Post a Comment