Blogging tips

Experiment..Of the Cookie Kind

A friend of mine down here gave me her recipe for some excellent Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies. I've been obsessed with them ever since. You see, I can sorta think of these as "good-for-you" cookies because they are chock full of oats, so we're talkin' some serious fiber! I like making the cookies because I figure if Avery is going to eat sweets 'n stuff, at least these are homemade (i.e. not packed wtih preservatives) - you know, kinda Good Junk! ;)

So, I've been sticking to the standard recipe, but today thought I'd jazz it up a bit. You know the saying - cooking's an art, baking's a science, so I guess I was "livin' on the edge" - ha!

Half the batch I made especially for my kiddo and her playdate amigos - with m&m-esque chips...
The other half got the "adult treatment" with Craisins and White Chocolate chips...
Yeah, you're seeing that price tag on the chips correctly - that's the sort of mark-up we have to pay for American grocery products, bought at the Embassy commissary. When you're desperate, you pay - to a degree...you should've seen what they wanted for semi-sweet chips!

I'm not a big fan of white chocolate, but thought it might be an interesting change. Truth be told, I wish I'd stuck to regular chips, but hey - this gives me a good excuse for a cookie give-away!
Hmmm....can you tell which side of the plate will get devoured first?
I know someone who's happy to oblige!
Anyway...it's a chip-adaptable recipe you might enjoy:

Hershey's Oatmeal (Chip) Cookies
*makes about 4 dozen*
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (I sub about 1/4 cup wheat flour, and it works)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups quick-cooking or regular rolled oats
1 3/4 cup Chocolate (or other) chips

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F
2. Beat butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar with electric mixer on medium speed in large bowl until well blended. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Stir together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until well blended. Stir in oats and chips, mix well. Drop by heaping teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet.
3. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly. Remove to wire rack and cool completely. (Um...be sure to eat a couple while still gooey-warm!)

Let me know if you make any yummy chip-combo discoveries - Enjoy!

6 comments:

my favorite and my best said...

yum! i'd eat both piles and might even knock over sweet avery to get to them. sorry...

paula said...

looks yummy!

Federica said...

They looks great!

Haven and Home said...

How fun!

Sarah Danielle: Jeune Marie said...

Aww - what a precious little "cookie monster"!!

LindsB said...

Yum those look so good, but wowza the price of choc chips is crazy! But I guess when it comes to making great cookies it can be justified.

Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog today- I'm loving your blog so far and will be reading the rest of it tonight when I have time to go through the whole thing :)

Post a Comment