Blogging tips

Not-so-closeted Francophile

Me and Ben, Paris (duh?!) 2005
I'm not sure why I titled this post in that way...I mean, really, is there a need to be a closeted Francophile? No, indeed not - but remember, a few years back, when many people were touting an anti-France sentiment? Freedom fries instead of french fries, etc, etc... I guess it stems from that - no matter...I was never on that bandwagon, anyway.

I've always wanted to be fluent in French. Took the first two, five-hour-credit courses of French at UT (made A's, thank you very much!), but dropped it during my third semester, when I changed majors. I should have continued, even if my new degree program didn't require it... C'est la vie, n'est pas?
You can only imagine, then, how fluttery I got when I discovered Corine at
Hidden in France. A French woman, writing about design (among other things), while living in The States. Her writing style is wonderfully engaging, witty, and self-deprecating TOTALLY my kind of gal! But wait! Get this...She's begun a new endeavor (and this is where my francophilia really kicks in) - She gives French cooking classes....while teaching French!
I think this is such a brilliant idea, and if I lived in SoCal, I'd be ALL OVER THIS in a heartbeat. Since I'm not, I'll have to settle for the blog version: Cooking in French.
I know France is known for 5-star "haute cuisine," but my preference in French fare is the simple, yet amazing food you get from bistros and brasseries. I imagine Corine provides a taste of both. Here's to you, mon amie blogguere!

On a side note: if you like simple but fabulous French fare - I recommend Ina Garten's Barefoot in Paris cookbook.

3 comments:

corine said...

Oh you are too sweet! My (numb) smile is back indeed!

La Belette Rouge said...

OMG!! I just had lunch today with lovely Corinne and she gave me one of her gorgeous cards. I can't wait to cook with Corine. She is much more chic than the Barefoot Contessa and I can't wait to attend one of her cooking classes.

Thank you soooo much for your very sweet comment on my blog. I am happy that Corine sent you over to my blog and I am happy you will be back. I will be back to your gorgeous blog again soon.

Sam said...

I love the barefoot contessa. I feature her homes on my blog often. Great post - thank you so much for sharing.

xx,
Sam

Post a Comment