image: horse with no name via hereGet your lovely hats and mint juleps ready, because Saturday, May 2nd 2009 marks the 135th Run for the Roses - The Kentucky Derby! I don't know what's better, the lively colors of the jockey shirts, or the amazing array of ladies in fanciful hats - never mind the heart-palpitating race!
My Mom has said she's always wanted to attend America's most famous horse race - hopefully, one day she, my sister and I will get the chance to head to Churchill Downs for the Big Event.
In the meantime....I'll be dreaming of stunning thoroughbreds,one minty-sugary drink, killer chapeaus...and Kentucky-looking traditional interiors!
In the meantime....I'll be dreaming of stunning thoroughbreds,one minty-sugary drink, killer chapeaus...and Kentucky-looking traditional interiors!
Watch it! These babies can be S.T.R.O.N.G!
Don't you wish women still wore hats (you know, other than baseball caps) as a regular item of apparel? {sigh}

I really have no idea whether these homes exist anywhere near Louisville - or even in the South for that matter, but somehow they remind me of genteel classicism - the hallmark of hospitable, Southern interiors.Yes, I realize Eliza Doolittle attended Ascot, not The Derby, but I had to give some props to the original, fabulous race-hat maven (and one of my all-time fave movie characters!)





I DO wish women wore hats! I would love to wear a hat to church, but I would feel so conspicuous. But just thinking of wearing a beautiful hat and not having to fix my hair sounds so wonderful. Beautiful pictures you showed-hats and houses. laurie
ReplyDeleteThat blue wall paint on the stairs is stunning! Better get my bourbon ready for those juleps!
ReplyDeleteI love love love the Kentucky Derby, and your blog!!! So glad I just found it :)
ReplyDeleteGreat hats!