Blogging tips

Staging a blog comeback: The Ick Master Bathroom

So, new year, new me.  As 'muricans, we all love a good comeback, so I'm attempting to make this mine.  Attempt being the key word.  We've done a lot of renovating over the last year and a half, and I've been a total slacker about documenting it.  So, I hope to catch up somewhat with that, but really, I just want to get back to the reason I ever blogged to begin with.  To give voice to my inner monologue, the heavy emphasis being on interiors, and to plan and organize decorating projects.

Jumping right in...Our master* bath.  It's en suite to our room, but otherwise, there's nothing master about it.  It is wee.  Eight by five feet, to be exact.  Anyway, it's next on our project list.

Behold.
 It's charming in that hospital-grade kind of way, right?
Original vanity that is super low, even for a shortstack like me.
 New tile, but I just can't deal.

I feel like I just stood in front of you naked.

For the record, it came to us this way.  The tile in the shower, and the vanity are the original 1970s builder-grade selections.  The previous owners installed new floor tile, and put a fresh coat of the oh-so-flattering mauve (flat finish, btw) paint and called it a day.
In the time we've lived here, the lack of an exhaust fan caused the ceiling paint to chip, and the sheetrock to bubble/chip.  Most of the walls also have water lines from condensation.  We've since installed an exhaust fan, but the damage was done.
We've been focusing our time/money/effort on other rooms the whole family enjoys, and I've been putting off the decision-making, but now it's time to bite this bullet.  Truth is, though I may not have run out of designing steam, our checkbook might've, so my original plans to make this a tiny but luxe bath have scaled back.

And that's where I'm at:  redesigning.

As a visual, my first thoughts were to brighten it all up (obvs), add a lot of reflective and light surfaces to bounce light, and address the seriously-lacking storage situation.  Something marbly and mirror-y like these would make me happy.

BUT, after crunching some numbers, and really thinking about elements I love, I'm pulling more in a mixed materials/textures direction.

Still on the white marble train, but instead of a lot of white/light gray cabinets, walls, etc,  I'm planning to mix in some med-dark wood tones with brass to keep the color palette a little warm.  We live in a traditional Colonial, so keeping some wood tones suits the home, too.
Heading somewhere like

I would love to reclaim an old chest for a vanity, and have done some searching, but our very specific space requirements have made it tough to find the right piece.  I'll probably end up with a ready-made vanity (boo!), and will instead focus on the preeeeetty marble herringbone mosaic that'll cover the floor.

So , I have some design-boarding to do, but at least I can think New Year, New Bath!

15 comments:

mrs. V | Chez V said...

Can't wait to see this go down, chica!!

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

Wahoo. So glad I'll get to watch this. And the vanity lighting in that last inspiration bathroom is the bees knees.

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

love this already!! i cant wait to see what your brilliant mind comes up with! btw - love when you said i just stood in front of you naked. that is SOOOO what it feels like sometimes.

Leah said...

Happy to watch the progress! The bathroom with the warm wood is beautiful, but we have the same issue with finding anything the right size (minuscule!). Glad you are back!

spark! (Ada-Marie) said...

Lovely! Can't wait to see where you go with this. Great inspiration. Glad you are back, Alison!!

pubg mobile said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
pubg mobile said...

شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض
إن النقل عندنا أمر بسيط وليس معقدا. مهمتنا هي تبسيط خدمة النقل بضمان الحفاظ على منقولاتك دون عناء
نقل عفش بالمدينة المنورة
والنقل بأسرع وقت ونقدم خدمة نقل الأثاث فقط منفردا أو إضافة بعض الخدمات إلى نقل الاثاث (نقل العفش) من تعبئة،
نقل اثاث بجدة
تغليف، تنظيف، فك، تركيب أو إضافة جميع الخدمات إلى نقل الأثاث وتسمى الخدمة الشاملة حسب اختيار عملينا وأسعارنا يتم تحديده بنوعية الخدمة المطلوبة.
نقل اثاث بالدمام
ونش خاص لتنزيل ورفع الأثاث
نقل عفش بالرياض رخيص
نقل الموبيليات والبضائع لجميع الجهات
شركة نقل عفش

Unknown said...

when I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service? Thanks!

Berita Bola
Prediksi skor bola

Loading.. said...

A well written post, I simply passed this to a workfellow who was doing some analysis on this. And I actually bought the dinner because I found it for him.

Dokter bedah digestif
Dokter kanker lambung
Pengacara jakarta
Pengacara perceraian

Loading.. said...

Loved the comments. It was very much helpful for me.

Pohon plastik

Loading.. said...

I was looking for this. Really rejuvenating information. Thanks a lot.

Dokter spesialis bedah digestif
Dokter spesialis kanker lambung
Jasa pembuatan website tangerang

Loading.. said...

I'm going to watch out for brussels. I will appreciate if you continue this in future. Many people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

perusahaan it
jasa konsultan it
jasa setting mikrotik

Galessha Hopkins said...

Good article very impressive, Thanks for providing helpful information. I Will share it.

Smoking Deals at Police Interview Room System

Sigit said...

hello ,,, your website page is good, the layout is very neat, the article is very useful & easy to understand. thanks by cctv karawang

Unknown said...

Is this making a bathroom? I hope the place is comfortable jasa pemasangan cctv profesional di cikampek

Post a Comment