Blogging tips

Oh yeah, we're Keeetchin' ReeenOvaTORS

Well, I have a lot of catching up to do.  With Insta giving the 1000-words-in-a-snap synopsis, it might be redundant to blog, but I'm feeling optimistic.

When we bought this house, we hoped to do quite a bit to bring it up to speed.  It was, for the most part, totally livable, just not the style we would choose.  For example, over the past few months, we've had the basement completely renovated from a dark, cold cave to a warm, usable space.  Hopefully, I'll get around to detailing that, but today is about the KEETCHIN.

To preface:  I have some guilt over redoing this kitchen.  The people we bought the house from apparently prepped the kitchen for selling purposes - painted, and put it new granite.  They put a fairly nice face on what was still a 1970s builder-grade kitchen.


Just a note of opinion, here, while I'm at it:  Why do people renovate only to sell their home?  Why not put in the nice features to enjoy them while you live there?  As a buyer, I'd rather you leave the old stuff, and knock a few grand off the asking price, so I can make my own selections when it comes time to remodel. Sans the guilt of feeling wasteful.
So, yes, I feel guilty busting out a kitchen someone else thought was the bee's knees. 

We've lived with it for about six months to really get a feel for what did and didn't work for us in the space.  It's a decent-sized kitchen, but didn't maximize the space. There's the working wall of all the appliances, which left little counter/prep space.  Then, there was the fridge and pantry - pushed into a small walkway outside the main part of the kitchen.
Strange.
The little side bar area (on right in pic) wasn't deep enough for any small appliances, nor were there any outlets.  Basically, nothing more than a catch-all for all for the papers, lunch boxes, etc that traffic through here.
I liked the idea of having an eat-in area, but a round table (staged for selling) ate up a ton of real estate. 
After visiting with our contractor about the feasibility of moving appliances around, I came up with a rudimentary sketch that included plans to replace the double ovens with a single range, move the fridge into the main kitchen area, and add additional counter space with the sink placement under the window.  
The area vacated by the fridge in the passage-way would become a coffee station, with storage underneath for heavy small appliances (cuisinarts, etc), and the pantry would rotate to be accessible from the main kitchen.
We needed the storage the side cabinet provided, but planned it to be more of a standing desk/computer situation.
It'll be a tight fit, but we plan to put in a petite banquette/table along the back wall.
...Cabinet company rendering

I've been inspired by the greige kitchen movement.  I want ours to be classic - with touches of brass, nickel, white and black.  
 Well, you know - in a non-Martha/realistic version.

My working design board...
Some decisions are still in flux, but we're going with a shaker-style cabinet in a warm, mid-tone greige.  I think the color is actually called mushroom.  Or is it stone?  Not sure. 

We're about nine days in, have endured demo, and living with the essentials in a mock-kitchen.  Amazing how complete you can feel with an espresso machine and a hot plate.

And.  There's progress to report. 
So it's a good day to blog.

17 comments:

My Interior Life said...

Yay!! Congratulations! I love your choices and am jealous of your re-do. Can't wait to see it all finished up. Those brass fixtures and lighting are going to be so pretty and warm. Love!

Lisa Travis said...

Beautiful picks…love it all! Can you share the make/model of the range?

spark! (Ada-Marie) said...

SO fun! I cannot wait to see it all together. It's going to be amazing!

Robin @ Happily Home, After said...

Oh it already looks so much warmer and modern. So glad the poor little kitchen sink is going to move out of the depressing corner ... that would just feel so gloomy standing over there washing (of course, I think washing dishes period is rather gloomy to start with, so glad my hubby doesn't mind clean up duty). Obviously the cabinets are already finished and not being painted on site, but I'm looking for a greige color that I might paint some of our only 3 yr old cabinets, long story ... can you think of any BM colors that come close to your new cabinets?

MFAMB said...

looks awesome! is your stove blue?

alison giese Interiors said...

@Lisa - The range is a GE cafe series - dual fuel.
@Robin - Let me think about that.

theanatomyofdesign.com said...

love your plans, and it looks amazing already!

LindsB said...

LOVE love love! I cant WAIT to see the final pic in here, its going to be amahhhzing!

C a i t l i n said...

Easy for me to say but looks like they're really moving along for only 10 days in. Did the wood floor just go in too?

Louise said...

What a great use of space! I can't wait to see it all come together!

Lynn Williamson said...

Impressive! I love how the owner has a solid plan in mind, so that the contractors really know what to do. And at the end of it all, both parties expect the same thing when the project is done. There's still a lot of work to do in renovating your kitchen, but with your ideas, nothing should go wrong with that.
Lynn Williamson @ DALBuilders.net

Sharon said...

Alison, Can't wait to see the finished room! I just finished a total remodel of an 11'x11' kitchen. Is the wall-mounted light on your inspiration board by Hudson Valley? I have two in nickel over my sink & love them.

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

Very pretty Alison! for a moment I thought you were going to know off that window, silly me I can't read well apparently! I love it, and love the grey!! Can't wait to see the end result

Calgary Girl said...

Can't wait to see the finished product.

alaa nile said...

شركات نقل اثاث بالرياض
شركة كشف تسربات المياه
نقل عفش مكة
شركة عزل اسطح بالرياض
طبيب تكميم المعدة مصر
شركة رش مبيدات
عزل خزانات بالرياض
شركة تنظيف منازل بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تنظيف موكيت بجدة
اضغط هنا
اضغط هنا
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالخرج
شركة تنظيف فلل بمكة
شركة تنظيف فلل بمكة
اثاث مستعمل للبيع بالرياض

اضغط هنا
اضغط هنا






laura Madalene said...

I'm also a fan of small kitchens. My favorite kitchen was in a studio apartment -- it was in a sort of alcove and you literally needed not take more than two steps from sink to stove to fridge. Didn't hurt that it was full of charm with glass-front cabinets built in the 20s, wall mounted sink, etc. Do you know what I love most about Michael Penney's kitchen? If you look closely at the cabinets, you can see they had that 80s strip of wood across the top of each door/drawer. He painted it to match and then did some fabulous decorating around it. I think the wallpaper is my favorite.
kitchen-cabinets-of-adorable-design

hassan mouse said...

Find best Online Jobs on Facebook...
JobzCorner

Post a Comment